PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Directory:Crystal Ion Air Turbine Engine
Most of the information on this page is now obsolete.
AKA: Aerodynamic Air Turbine Engine
Device is said to runs totally on ambient air -- the air we breath. This is not a compressed air method. The device allegedly runs on its own, and can be scaled large enough to power an airplane or small enough to power a lawn mower.
Beginning on Feb. 12, 2007, the New Energy Congress commenced discussions with Rockwell to have an NEC representative validate the technology. As of Oct. 25, 2007, Rockwell has not provided an appointment.
"Lots of smoke, but where's the fire" category.
On Feb. 15, 2007, Sterling D. Allan wrote:
According to Ron Rockwell, a turbine of comparable output to an automobile engine would cost about as much as an automobile engine to make, but would not require fuel components, or carburetor, or coolant. Most of all, it wouldn't require fuel.
Company bemoans lack of warm response from Washington DC Energy Department, who declined to assist.
One prototype has been built, which took 2.5 years to construct (modified) from drawings, photos, and instructions from an earlier prototype (that disappeared) built by the original inventor, Haskell Karl, in the 1960s.
Rockwell said a multi-billion dollar contract from a foreign government is in process of being signed, and that a major announcement will be made next week. "Keep an eye on MoneyTV.com [?] and Oprah."
The company is seeking public exposure as a way to prevent suppression of the technology.
Latest Developments / History
See also In the News.
New video added.
Apr. 5, 2007
In a phone conversation, Bob Beverly said that the company is waiting to secure funding to be able to build a factory where the technology can be demonstrated in a large press conference, inviting all the major media. Because of some of the negative comments we have posted here, they are not interested in letting the New Energy Congress in to validate the technoloy. -- Sterling D. Allan
Feb. 12, 2007
This feature page at PESWiki is posted.
Nov. 3, 2006
Press release issued: Aerodynamic Air Turbine Engine -- The End of Fossil Fuel Burning -- the Beginning of a Renewed Industrial Revolution. Sent to 50 news organizations, none of which published it. Later the technology was brought to the Energy Department in Washington DC, who gave it a cold shoulder.
According to Bob Beverly, in June 2006, two $100+ billion dollar deals were being negotiated. Two people "mysteriously died"; one from a heart attack 6 days after their discussion; and they never heard again from the Chinese individuals involved in the negotiations. The deals fell through.
The technology was first developed by Haskell Karl. It was tested at Wyle Laboratories in California. They couldn't figure out how it worked, so they would not certified that it worked. After the engine was removed from there, everyone that worked on it mysteriously disappeared, along with the turbine. Ron Rockwell later met the inventor and promised him he would resurrect the technology, which he said he was able to do, using diagrams, photos, and descriptions.
According to http://www.airturbineengine.com/video.html
The device is claimed to put out same torque as a 350 Chevrolet V8 engine. An exciter motor required to get rotation started, after which the engine could conceivably run indefinitely, minus bearing and other mechanical wear. Elaborate governing mechanism includes fiber optic rpm measurement, emergency shut-down system.
"The engine uses the sucking created by a vacuum to power its parts and generate energy." 
Bob Beverly says the present prototype spins as fast as 100,000 rpm.
Ron Rockwell in a phone interview with Sterling D. Allan on Feb. 12, 2007 said:
The prototype (one exists at present) has been operational for a few months. The longest it has run continuously has been a few hours for testing.
The unit has a remote control throttle-control.
Rockwell would not disclose the power output of the device without an NDA. He said the company was busy with overseas licensing requests.
Haskell Karl launched the "Kittyhawk;" "now we've taken it to the 767 Boeing level."
How does it work ?
There is very little technical information on the website. But it appears that the turbine in the engine is forced to rotate by what is referred to as above as a vacuum. Ron Rockwell may not understand that in order to generate say 100 watts of energy, it would be necessary to use 101 or more likely 1000 watts of energy to generate the 'vacuum' or air flow around the turbine. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
I beg to differ with above poster. The principle of this motor would appear pretty simple. It's probably a series of tesla-turbine plates, possibly as modified nested cones, on an axle. The inlet and outlet ports seem to have a directional cut to direct airflow, although a single tangential inlet and outlet common to turbines and blowers would probably work as well. An HV potential applied at the inlet would charge the incoming air, racing to ground, or an equally -HV at the outlet. This would create a charged tornado like some newer vacuum cleaners, the airflow grabbing the plates to generate axial rotation. Of course the turbine/plates would need to be turned initially by a prime mover and raised to high speed to create the coriolis air rotations, after which the charged air potentials would take over and make the air flow self-sustaining, as is common to natural tornadoes.
This post edited by thrival on Nov. 1, 2007 @ 12:11 P.M.
Due to some technologies being shut down by the U.S. government during the patent phase, Rockwell has chosen not to pursue patents, but to protect its intellectual property via trade secrets and mechanisms to prevent reverse engineering.
Inventor Profile: Haskell Karl
Haskell Karl invented the air engine in the 1960s. Now 86, Haskell lived for many years in Los Angeles. He now resides in Goldfield, having decided a couple of decades ago to move to a smaller town.
Re-Builder Profile: Ronald G. Rockwell
Ron Rockwell says he used to work as a machinist with Martin Missile Company through Universal Specialties, building rocket components. He met Royal Raymond Rife and John F. Crane in 1964 and worked with them in their laboratory as their machinist. Rockwell developed a brain tumor in 1973, which he said was cured by the RPG-900 (Rife) machine. Several years ago, Rockwell met Carla Stevens who introduced him to Haskell Karl. Bob Beverly said that Rockwell is the only bona fide successor of the original Rife technology.
Rockwell held the Pacific Offshore B-Class boat speed record from 1988-90. 
Ron Rockwell Felony Record
- SUN profile: Rockwell's credibility probed in anthrax arrests
- February 23, 1998
- Although the FBI has said that Ronald G. Rockwell is a scientist specializing in cancer research, his name isn't registered with the National Library of Medicine. This organization indexes and references all legitimate cancer research papers from around the world.
- Rockwell's credibility is an issue because he is the FBI's key witness in the arrest last week of William Job Leavitt and Larry Wayne Harris on suspicion of possessing anthrax, a deadly bacteria.
- Lamond Mills, Leavitt's attorney, characterized Rockwell as "far from being a credible witness."
- The FBI, in a complaint, said Rockwell has two felony convictions against him for conspiracy to commit extortion in 1981 and 1982.
- "Ron Rockwell only had one conviction not two. [Regarding the statement:] "The FBI, in a complaint, said Rockwell has two felony convictions against him for conspiracy to commit extortion in 1981 and 1982." The above quoted statement is not correct. Again there was only one conviction one complaint that was in 1981.
- "Now as far as Lamond Mills, Leavitt's attorney, characterizing Rockwell as being "far from a credible witness'" that's here say, from Levitts attorney, not based on any facts ...
- "Fact: The FBI felt Rockwell is a credible witness to bring about an arrest of Leavitt and Harris." -- Bob Beverly (Oct. 25, 2007)
- Sepp Hasslberger's Comment
- I believe someone's past should be known but should not be held against them. The important thing is whether what they are doing today is of value or not. So I think the only deciding factor on dealing with these people should be whether their claims for the air turbine turn out to be verifiable (do they have an actual workable technology) or not. (Feb 16, 2007)
Company Profile: Rockwell Scientific LLC
(Has been around since at least 1998)
Company founder, Ron Rockwell, says they are planning to build a new 200,000 square foot facility to bring this device into production.
Rockwell says provisions are in place such that if he were to be "taken out", the plans would be released to the world, to prevent their suppression.
According to Bob Beverly, the company is presently in negotiations for multi-billion dollar funding to manufacture this technology at a rate of around 20,000 units per month, beginning with two model sizes: a smaller unit of around 365 horsepower to retrofit the automobile and other transportation industries; and a larger unit to retrofit power plants. They are also negotiating procuring a decommissioned power plant in Laughlin Nevada to test the retrofit process.
The smaller sized unit would be priced in the range of around $2,500 to $3,000 USD.
In the News
- <Future Energy Enews - The October 2008 issue of Tom Valone's newsletter covers the Air Trubine Engine, Hydrates, Wind, Tide, Geothermal and Renewables. (IRI; Oct 29, 2008)
- The Advanced Aerodynamic Air Turbine Engine - The future has arrived with the solution to our world's energy needs. The Aerodynamic Air Turbine Engine (AATE), aptly named "The Crystal Ion", will be the energy revolution we have been waiting for. Clean energy utilizing the force of nature to create powerful and sustainable motion with no detrimental environmental impact is here. (Future Energy eNews; Oct. 28, 2008)
- "Crystal Ion" Engine Rejuvenated - A remarkable 1960s invention by Goldfield resident Haskell Karl has been rejuvenated (Tonopah Times-Bonanza; Feb. 1, 2007)
- Aerodynamic Air Turbine Engine - Renews 21st Century Industrial Revolution (American's Bulletin; Jan.-Feb. 2007 issues; story dated Dec. 21, 2006)
- Current Revolutionary Technology CURRENT REVOLUTIONARY TECHNOLOGY PROPOSES SOLUTION TO ENERGY CRISIS. Press Release Dateline: July 19, 2007
NEC Review Pending
On Feb. 15, 2007, New Energy Congress founder, Sterling D. Allan wrote:
Rockwell Scientific has been approached about allowing a member of the New Energy Congress to come witness the technology. Response pending.
As is so often the case, it seems this company does a good share of overstating (e.g. saying "We've taken it to the 737 level", though only one prototype exists). The task will be to determine just how plausible this technology is. Does it really work? How expensive will it be to manufacture, install, maintain, decommission? How workable will the key players be in striking reasonable licensing agreements so that the technology can be advanced successfully, not overburdened with too high of expectations for quick riches (e.g. alleged $100+ billion dollar deal that was scrapped when the key player had a heart attack)? The company should grow incrementally, taking measured steps, rather than trying to jump immediately into wide-scale deployment and massive wealth.
The lights on the device are not part of the function of the device, but are for visual effect -- the Las Vegas flair. Yes, it makes the device appear fantastic, but it diminishes scientific credibility, serving as a diversion for sake of illusion.
In short, the group has a Tilley ring to it (not a compliment). But, alas, if they truly have a viable technology, they are to be congratulated and wished success in bringing it to market soon.
Rockwell Scientific Research LLC
Ronald Rockwell, Scientist
PO Box 26192
Las Vegas, NV 89126-6192
USA email: email@example.com
Dr. Bob Beverly
This individual is no longer associated with Rockwell Scientific Research, L.L.C. and the Aerodynamic Air Turbine Engine in any way shape or form. Do not contact this individual in this regard.