PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Directory:FloDesign Wind Turbine
“Today’s wind turbines have nearly reached their maximum possible efficiency and are limited to sites with a narrow profile of wind patterns. The patented FloDesign FD700 shrouded turbine will outperform existing turbines by a factor of three or more in a much wider range of wind resources…FloDesign will design, manufacture, and sell the FD700 to wind farm developers, industrial operators and utilities. With FloDesign, there is change in the wind."
The prototype will be 12 feet in diameter and produce 108 kilowatts of power. If it performs as hoped, models suitable for commercial wind farms will be developed with diameters about 50 feet across and with the capability to produce 700 kilowatts or more of power each, enough electricity to power about 500 homes.
How it Works
"The FloDesign model looks to be based on the venturi, named after the discoverer, G.B. Venturi, an eighteenth century physicist. The venturi is essentially a hole in the wall in front of a moving air mass. Venturi’s discovery was that air moving through a venturi would gain speed. Much has been developed over the past two centuries in compressed air engineering to exploit the property.
The drawings suggest that FloDesign has reached deeper into their experience and knowledge to increase the low-pressure area behind the generator blades. The double ring look suggests that the flow models offer a deeper low pressure and some compensation for the blade and generator blockage in the inner annulus or hole." (New Energy and Fuel)
- A New Analytical Model for Wind Turbine Wakes (PDF) - 30-page PDF on Wind Turbine Wakes. (June 1, 2008)
- Thrust Augmentation with Mixer/Ejector Systems' - 11-page PDF on Thrust Augmentation with Mixer/Ejector Systems. (July 14, 2008)
- Multi-Stage Mixer/Ejector Systems - 12-page PDF on Multi-Stage Ejector Systems. (July 7, 2002)
(4.59 Minutes) FloDesign Wind Turbine
- Jet engine style wind turbine from FloDesign Wind Turbine. This approach is more efficient than rotorblade windturbines. (YouTube; May 19, 2008)
- - - -
"We estimate it will be 35 to 50 percent cheaper per kilowatt hour than conventional turbines. It will also operate at lower wind speeds than present models, which will open up opportunities in areas that could not use conventional turbines, such as the Plains states."
"According to executives, the design can produce 50 percent more power than a three-blade turbine, at half the size and 30 percent less cost."
- Small footprint
- More efficient
- Wind power
The prototype, which will be built in Wilbraham, according to Kowalski, will likely be tested at a site in North Carolina with the performance to be assessed by the U.S. Department of Energy. The total cost of the prototype will be about $4 million, so additional money is being sought from venture capitalists to fund the effort.
- Lobed convergent/divergent supersonic nozzle ejector system Patent number: 6877960
- Abstract: An ejector system comprises a lobed, supersonic primary nozzle and a convergent/divergent ejector shroud. The lobed nozzle is just upstream from the ejector shroud, such that there is an annular space between the nozzle and shroud for admitting a secondary flow. In operation, a primary flow of high-pressure steam or air is directed through the primary nozzle, where it is accelerated to supersonic speed. The primary flow then exits the primary nozzle, where it entrains and is mixed with the secondary flow, creating a low pressure region or vacuum. The ejector shroud subsequently decelerates the combined flow while increasing the flow pressure, which increases suction performance and reduces energy loss. Because the primary nozzle mixes the two flows, the ejector shroud is able to have a length-to-entrance-diameter ratio significantly smaller than typical shrouds/diffusers, which decreases the system's size and increases performance.
Company: FloDesign Wind Turbine Corporation
FloDesign, founded in 1990, is a research and development company that adapts aerospace technologies to develop and market new products. It has developed products for companies such as Rolls Royce, Sikorsky Aircraft, Sound Solutions and Stage III Technologies. It employs about 20 people. FloDesign Wind Turbine Corp., is a spun off to further develop the wind turbine.
Stan Kowalski, CEO
- FloDesign finds $6M in first funding - This year’s Ignite Clean Energy business plan competition winner, FloDesign Wind Turbine Corp., has closed its first round of institutional funding, landing $6 million with the sale of Series A stock. (Mass High tech; Aug. 1, 2008)
Walter M. Presz, Jr., Michael J. Werle
- Ignite Clean Energy 2008 - First Place: FloDesign Wind Turbine Corporation.
In the News
- FloDesign Will Expand Its Jet Wind Turbine Soon (EarthAlternate; May 9, 2010)
- Jet Engine Wind Turbine Design Could Halve Wind Power Electricity Costs - The idea for this isn’t new, but past attempts to build similar turbines were limited by the fact that the turbine had to be very precisely aligned with the wind’s direction (3-4 degrees), but according to FloDesign’s CEO the blade design of this turbine allows it to work at angles of up to 20 degrees off the wind. (TreeHugger; Dec. 1, 2008)
- Wind >
Wind Turbine Concept Inspired by Jet Engines - FloDesign is working on a wind turbine concept that could potentially be at least twice as efficient as traditional rotor blade turbines, which force air around them instead of through them. (YouTube) (Alternative Energy; May 29, 2008)
- FloDesign Wins 200K Energy Prize - the winner was FloDesign Wind Turbine Corp., of Wilbraham, MA, which has a plan, as you might have guessed, for a wind turbine that will significantly eclipse the performance of existing turbines. FloDesign also took home the first prize (50K in cash and a like amount in in-kind services) at Monday’s Ignite Clean Energy Competition, a separate cleantech contest run almost concurrently with the 200K—and earlier this spring was awarded a $500,000 convertible loan from the Massachusetts Technology Collaborative to help launch the company. (XConomy; May 18, 2008)
- EcoGeek of the Week: CEO of FloDesign Wind - The CEO of FloDesign Wind, Stanely Kowalski thinks things could be going even better. Using FloDesign's expertise in aircraft engines, he hopes to completely re-invent the wind turbine...and make them three times more efficient while he's at it. (EcoGeek; April 16, 2008)
- USA - FloDesign Inc. awarded funding from the Massachusetts Technology Collaborative - A wind turbine shaped like a jet engine that its designers hope will provide more electricity at a lower cost than conventional windmills has earned FloDesign Inc. a $500,000 loan from the state to develop a prototype. (WindTech; April 15, 2008)
- Fact Check on the New Wind Turbine Design - This early its hard to say with any certainty that the FloDesign turbine will revolutionize the business. But the wind power industry has gotten very big very fast and the willingness to adopt innovation is no problem. (New Energy and Fuel; Feb. 4, 2008)
- Mixer/Ejector Wind Turbine to produce 50% more power! - The FloDesign MEWT is claimed to produce 50% more power in comparison to conventional wind turbines, yet it is 50% smaller in size and would cost 25% to 35% less. Using cambered ringed airfoils or shrouds in a stator-rotor turbine cascade design, it has the potential to deliver power at 25% to 50% of the cost for a 3 bladed turbine. (EcoFriend; Feb. 1, 2008)
- FloDesign's jet engine-inspired wind turbine wins prizes - When wind hits a turbine, it's constructed so that different air flows create a rapid-mixing vortex. A fin directs it to face the direction of the wind to maximize the amount of energy it receives. The company said its machines can be used for utility-scale wind farms or corporate customers. (Cnet news - Green Tech; May 15, 2008)
See Discussion page
FloDesign Wind Turbine Corporation
380 Main Street
Wilbraham, MA 01095
- http://www.dragonfly-windturbine.com - resembles a jet engine even more than the above design.
- News:Wind | 2010 | 2009 | 2008
- PowerPedia:Wind power | PowerPedia:Wind Turbine
- Directory:Wind:Past Developments
- Directory:Wind:Offshore | PowerPedia:Offshore Wind Power Drawbacks
- Directory:Wind Farms | PowerPedia:Windfarms
- Directory:High-Efficiency Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines
- Directory:Home Generation:Wind Turbine
- Directory:Vertical Axis Wind Turbines
- Directory:High Altitude Wind Power
- Directory:Wind Augmentation
- Directory:Power Via Atmospheric Pressure Differences
- Directory:Humdinger Windbelt
- Directory:Wind Power in the United Kingdom