PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
A directory of flywheel technologies and resources.
A flywheel is a mechanical battery (a mechanical means of storing energy - simply a mass rotating about an axis). Flywheels store energy mechanically in the form of kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is energy of motion. The kinetic energy of an object is the energy it possesses because of its motion. As energy is transferred into a flywheel, as it spins, it builds up kinetic energy that can be released when necessary.
- Storage > Flywheels >
Flywheel Energy Storage: a Much Greener, 90% Efficient Battery - An overview of the principles of flywheel operation and applications, which range from acting as a UPS for a hospital to putting an entire train to movement and then to cruise speed, only by its power. (GreenOptimistic; April 8, 2009)
- AFS Trinity - AFS Trinity Power Corporation is a private company that owns the world’s largest portfolio of flywheel technologies, which span the entire power/energy spectrum from short duration, high kilowatt power quality systems to long duration true energy storage systems.
- Beacon Power - Flywheel systems developer, targeting grid storage market. Publicly traded company with at least one flywheel product on the market.
- Active Power - CleanSource® Flywheel Technology integrates the function of a motor, flywheel rotor and generator into a single integrated system which reduces the cost and increases efficiency. It provides ride-through power for power disturbances, and bridges the gap between a power outage and the time required to switch to generator power.
- Piller Power Systems - The Powerbridge vertically mounted flywheel and generator is a highly reliable, easily maintainable and environmentally clean source of back up power. Designed to operate within a speed range of 3,600 to 1,500 rpm, it can deliver 10 seconds of ride-through at 1.65 MW load and proportionately longer ride-through at lesser loads.
- Tribology Systems - TSI integrated flywheel battery systems cover a wide range of flywheel battery sizes, safety containment design, and solid-lubricated bearing technology. They extend the operating regime of flywheel batteries and bearings to higher speeds, higher temperatures, longer life, and zero maintenance.
- Powercorp - Flywheel systems developer with a background in Wind/Diesel Automation marketing containerized flywheel energy storage and frequency stabilization system.
- Pentadyne - Clean energy storage systems using a high-strength advanced carbon-fiber flywheel to ensure power quality and continuity for mission-critical operations at industrial, commercial and military facilities in North America and abroad.
- Vycon - Robust, durable, high-speed flywheel systems that are available at costs which make flywheels a viable DC power alternative.
- Flywheel Energy Systems - Flywheel energy storage systems with fibre composite flywheel rotors and high speed permanent magnet motor/generators.
Research and Development
- Feature / Best Exotic FE: Gravity Motors / Magnet Motors >
Alpha Omega Galaxy Freefall Generator (AOGFG) - A UK inventor has come up with a device that combines forces of gravity and magnets with a flywheel to produce power. External power is required to get it rotating, but once it comes up to speed, it allegedly produces excess energy. A local newspaper, as well as 14 UK Engineers and the patent office have all allegedly witnessed it in operation. (PESWiki; Sept. 18, 2010)
- EF9 Energy Systems - EF9 Energy Systems announced its new method for generating ultra high-efficiency clean energy with a revolutionary “artificial wind turbine engine” that runs a flywheel at high speed, using the Bernoulli effect. (EF9 Energy Systems; Jan. 21, 2009)
In the News
- Beacon Power Tests Megawatt of Flywheel Storage - Beacon Power has built and tested an integrated matrix of ten high-power flywheels that when operated together can absorb and supply a full megawatt (MW) of electricity for 15 minutes. (Renewable Energy World; Sept. 22, 2008)
- Flywheel Hybrid System Passes Crash Test - Flybrid Systems has demonstrated that its high-speed spinning flywheel system can survive a crash test. Compared to electrical-battery hybrids, the mechanical kinetic energy recovery system provides a more compact, efficient, lighter and environmentally-friendly solution. Flybrid uses a smaller and lighter flywheel than previous models. (Green Car Congress; Oct. 28, 2007)
- Flywheel Energy Store Hybrid Light Railcars - Parry People Movers hybrid light railcars are equipped with a flywheel energy store to capture braking energy for use in acceleration. The railcars can be powered by an on board LPG-fueled automotive engine, diesel- or hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engines, or hydrogen fuel cells. (Green Car Congress; Jun. 24, 2007)
- Beacon Power flywheels certified in California - Beacon utility-grade mechanical flywheel systems are now certified to help smooth supply and demand at power grid level, a task currently performed by coal or natural gas power plants. "As the amount of wind generation and other intermittent renewables increase in the next ten years, the need for high-speed regulation services will clearly increase." said the California ISO. (Inside Greentech; January 12, 2007)
- PowerPedia:Flywheels - encyclopedic entry at PESWiki
- Batteries Directory at PESWiki