PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Directory:Home Generation:Solar Heating
- Featured: Solar > Thermal > Home >
A Tour of David W. Allan's Solar Home that Uses 10 Solar Principles - Located in the cooler central Utah climate at 6,000 foot elevation, the Allan's solar home integrates at least ten different forms of solar, including: trombe wall, solarium convection, photovoltaic cells, propylene-glycol heat exchange, eutectic salt chamber, berm insulation, black chimneys and under-ground intake for passive solar air conditioning, and dehydration of food. (PESN; June 24, 2012)
Do It Yourself
DIY solar heating projects
- BuildItSolar - The Solar Shed uses solar collectors mounted on an outbuilding for house heating. The collectors are integrated with the south wall of the shed, which is oriented for best collection. Heat is stored in a 500 gallon insulated water tank. Hot water from the tank is pumped to the house radiant floor heating system as the house needs heat.
- Reflective Solar Heating - A stainless steel mirror installed flat on the deck effectively doubles the amount of solar energy entering the window. Heat is transferred to the house with no losses or delays associated with heat storage and transfer, at a capital cost of around $150 per kW ($0.15 per watt).
- Use sheet metal or emergency blankets to create a solar reflector. Effectively increase your window size at a low cost. Works well with decks outside a sliding glass door.
- Heavy rubber mats on the floor just inside a floor level window can absorb solar heat very well. Aluminum venetian blinds collect solar heat.
- Mother's Solar Heat Grabber - by Mother Earth News - Believe it or not, this simple and effective "window box" solar collector can be fabricated in just under an hour by an experienced home craftsman.
- Building an inexpensive solar heating panel
- Solar DIY Space Heating Projects - Solar space heating can be 25 or more times more cost effective than solar electric (PV) systems, and the systems are excellent DIY projects. Payback periods can be as little as one year.
- The Solar Sponge - Commercial Solar Air Heaters cost many thousands of dollars, we'll show you how you can build one with similar or better performance for less than $500 using parts from your local hardware store!
- atlanticenergy - Wayne Langille's solar hot air collector built from aluminum dryer vent ducting
- The Integral Urban House's DIY solar thermal system. Build by Tom Javits; supposedly low-cost and very efficient. More information still required.
- Solar Thermal and Evacuated Tube Technology - Apricus - Despite the fact evacuated tubes have better performance and are more economical, due to ease of installation and are capable of reaching higher temperatures, the technology has not received the recognition it deserves since the majority of the publicity we currently see focused on PV. Apricus (EarthToys; Aug. 2008)
- Solar Energy Cogeneration - A new system from SolarWall, the SolarDuct PV/T, offers a combination of solar photovoltaic and solar thermal in one assembly providing a means to heat and power from the sun with one product. (Inhabitat; June 23, 2008)
- ThetaNoon - ThetaNoon allows solar panel and solar water heaters owners to measure the amount of solar energy they use and the amount of carbon emission they save by using that solar energy.
- Solar Pavement - Featuring the general concept of pumping water through pipes in pavement to use the black-body absorption of the asphalt to collect solar heat and transmit it to the water.
- Solar Air Heating and Cooling - The Sun Lizard heats the air, and then uses a fan to pump that air around the building to keep people warm in winter. In summer the fan is used as a heat extractor, pulling rising heat from the building and venting it outside. It retails at $2500 but mass production may reduce the cost. (Star News; Feb. 28, 2007) (Thanks KeelyNet)
- Zomeworks - The Sunbender® Reflector/Shade for skylights reflects from 100,000 to 200,000 extra BTU's per square foot of skylight into the building below for winter heating, as the curved shape of the reflector concentrates reflected light. In the lowered summer position, it shades the skylight and greatly reduces heat gain, while still allowing light to enter.
- Solar collectors and Evacuated Tube solar water heating system - Jinyi - Metal Heat Pipe Solar Collector consists of a vacuum tube, a heat pipe, a metal heat absorption wing and the connecting manifold. The metal heat absorption wing with selective absorption coating converts solar energy into heat energy and transfers it medium liquid inside. The vacuum between the two glass tubes works as insulation. The liquid in the heat pipe changes into vapor which rises to the condenser. When passing through the heat exchanger, the heat is absorbed and the temperature is lowed, and the vapor becomes liquid, returns to the base of the heat pipe. This transference of heat is a continuous circulation as long as the collector is heated by the sun. Jinyi solar (EarthToys; Aug. 2008)
- ClearDome Solar Thermal - Solar air heaters.
- Solarway 6000 Solar Airheater
- AET Alternate Energy Technologies
- Solar Attic Space Heater - Heat energy builds up inside your attic -- even on winter days with chilly temperatures. The SolarAttic Space Heater takes this free renewable solar heat from the peak of your attic and supplies it to the interior of your home.
- HotBox Solar window mounted air heater
- American Solar Heater Boards are one of the lowest cost sources of heat on the market.
- Solar Thermal roof tiles create a large solar collector, at low cost.
- SOLARWALL® mounts easily onto a south wall.
- Sun-lite® Thermal Storage Tubes are the most efficient and cost effective way to store solar thermal energy.
- SolarSheat 1500G draws cold air from inside a room and blows back warm air into the room. It can heat up to 1000 sq. ft. The integrated photovoltaic panel powers a fan for best performance.
- Solar-Max Heating Systems - Award Winning Solar Air Heating System provides supplementary space heating for residential homes and small businesses during the day light hours independent from an existing primary heating source and can save you 20 - 50% on your annual fuel costs.
- Dawn Solar Building Integrated Solar Thermal system produces heat for domestic hot water, warm air, process heating and radiant and warm air space heating from under a roof or wall surface.
- T3Energy Pty - This Technology Package is able to heat residential and commercial buildings, heat domestic water, and store thermal energy for night time use.
- Microsolar System and Microsolar USA - The world’s highest temperature thermosyphon solar water heaters can operate in Negative 32 C conditions without freezing, without any chemicals, using only tap water. In England, heating oil savings of 90% were reported when the Microsolar heating system was used compared with the existing heating oil powered central heating system.
- Thermosolar - Unique evacuated flat plate collector is intended for installations in which the working temperature is more than 80 oC or used when high thermal output is necessary during a low intensity of sunlight (in the winter). The vacuum (insulation) guarantees stable operating parameters.
- Arco Solar Lasers - High-energy collection efficiency, low cost per BTU collected, and long life add up to better-cost efficiency than other types of collectors. High collector efficiency is a result of tracking as the dish looks dead ahead into the sun throughout the daylight hours. High heat transfer ratios are achieved by concentrating all the suns energy into a very small-insulated copper heat receiver located in the focal point. Cost is greatly reduced over conventional roof type fixed collectors.
- Ray-O-Max - Power Glass transmits solar energy while reflecting up to 90% of the radiant heat back to the source - inside the room in winter, back outside in summer. Able to transmit and retain 2-3 times more energy during the day than they lose at night, Window Powered Homes systems provide a lasting source of free energy in winter and reduce the radiant heat gain during the hot summer months.
- Cansolair - Thermostatically controlled forced convection solar heating unit made of 240 recycled aluminum cans provides a cost effective way to go green and save on heating bills. Designed to be independent of, but complimentary to the existing heating system, it can maintain comfortable room temperature in a 1000 square foot dwelling with 15 minutes of sunlight per hour.
- Chengdu Onergy Science and Technology - Onergy has invented Double-effective heat transfer technology enabling heat transfer in two ways: heat pipe and fine motion of water, and with high efficiency. It could get the utilization of solar at half the cost of using coal.
- Its Solar Water Heating Specialists - We are a professional manufacturer and international supplier of solar thermal systems based in Cape Town, South Africa. Our aim is to provide a solution consisting of the best in current technology. In order to do this we are actively keeping up to date with the latest technological developments around the globe.
- Sunshine to Dollars - Capturing free solar energy at little or no cost.
- Solar hot water heating systems for use in the developing world
- Space Heater directory at PESwiki
- Water Heater directory at PESwiki
- Home Generation directory at PESwiki