PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
- (by Jerod Shelby, not to be confused with Carl Shelby)
"Several years between charging!?"
Shelby Super Cars (SSC), holder of the world speed record for production cars, has created the Ultimate Aero EV (Electric Vehicle). This new 100% green supercar allegedly will be able to travel several years between charges.
- "The drive train under development will feature a revolutionary power source allowing for extended time between charging intervals with the possibility of several years between charging." (SSC; July 12, 2008)
The company expects to roll out the green vehicle's prototype in February 2009.
An earlier SSC supercar, also called Ultimate Aero, has a twin turbo V-8 that produces 1,183 horsepower. Combined with a lightweight, aerodynamic body, this car has been officially recognized as the "World's Fastest Production Car," clocked at 255.83 mph. (Guinness World Records) Only 50 of these vehicles will be manufactured, each selling for around $620,000.
The company's strategy is to build on the foundation of that success to introduce other, more practical vehicles, with a sedan already in the pipeline.
Jay Leno's Garage
- See Jay Leno's Garage review video of the ICE model, which hold's the world's speed record for a production car.
- Jay Leno's video of the SSC Ultimate Aero - The system the all-electric will be built on. (Jay Leno's Garage)
(2.42 Minutes) SSC Ultimate Aero TT world speed record
- Shelby Supercars, manufacturer of the ultra high-performance Ultimate Aero Twin Turbo, set the new Guinness "World's Fastest Production Car" record with an average top speed of 255.83 mph. This breaks the current official record held by the Koenigsegg CCR at 242 mph and the Bugatti Veyron's unofficial speed of 253 mph. With 1183 bhp and 1094 ft-lbs of torque, the Ultimate Aero produces more emissions-legal horsepower than any other production automobile in the world. The interior is highlighted by custom Recaro seats, a 10 speaker premium system, DVD/navigation/backup camera, and a cabin controlled lift that raises the front an extra four inches to navigate road hazards.
Shelby Supercars Ultimate Aero TT
Engine: 6.3L V8 Twin-Turbo 1183 bhp
Weight: 2750 lbs
Top speed: 255.83 mph
0 to 60 mph: 2.78 seconds
'06 SSC Ultimate Aero: 6.2L Supercharged V8 1050 bhp
'05 SSC Aero: 6.2L V8 787 bhp
(YouTube; Sept. 16, 2007)
(1.04 Minutes) SSC Ultimate Aero - supercar/hypercar (top speed: 256.18mph)
- This is a clip of SSC Shelby Super Cars' (American) supercar/hypercar Ultimate Aero TT top speed testing in May of 2007. SSC did transmission temperature tests during these runs for its 2008 Ultimate Aero twin-turbo models. These tests have proven to be successful, and managed to hit 241.4 mph at 71% throttle.
By the end of August 2007, SSC was confident and invited The Guiness Book of World Records to officially record its top speed for the World's Fastest Production car held by the (Swedish) Koenigsegg CCR's 242 mph, and surpassing the unofficial (Italian/French/German) Bugatti Veyron's top speed of 253 mph. The high speed run in September was held in Washington State's predetermined "public" highway.
On September 13, 2007, the Ultimate Aero broke the World Top Speed record run at 256.15 mph on a 2 mile stretch of public highway in Washington State.
On October 9, 2007, The Guinness Book of World Records officially recorded the SSC Ultimate Aero as the fastest production car with a top speed of 256.19 mph (412.28 kph).
Because of the "S" bends and uneven pavement from the highway, the driver of the Ultimate Aero, 71 years old Chuck Bigelow (an auto enthusiast with no racing or testing background), says that there was more pedal to push. SSC will send an Ultimate Aero to Europe to test its true top speed on one of Germany's ultra-smooth test tracks.
The SSC Ultimate Aero also holds Road and Track's slalom record, previously held by the Ferrari Enzo.
SSC is also in the works for developing a 220+ mph ultra-luxury sports sedan to target "Guinness Fastest Luxury Sedan", set to debut in 2009. (YouTube; August 12, 2007)
- Shelby Supercar Ultimate Aero - (Ubergizmo July 17, 2008)
"Shelby Supercar is currently working on the Ultimate Aero electric car that is capable of hitting 220 mph, but there will only be 50 of such units be available. There is not much details released so far, but the prototype ought to be ready by next February with four production models being available by December. This will put the Tesla roadster to shame, as it has been dubbed the "pollution-free, engineering marvel with an exotic supercar exterior." The Ultimate Aero will hold at least 500 horses underneath the hood, and I must say, it looks jolly good to be a chick magnet in any part of the world."
- - - -
SSC 'Going Green' In New SuperCar Development
West Richland, WA (07/12/2008)
Shrouded in mystery and secrecy, SSC has announced plans to unveil the next historical milestone – the Ultimate Aero EV (Electric Vehicle), the first 100% Green Supercar to achieve speeds never before seen. Engineering details are yet undisclosed while development continues at an uninterrupted pace. Despite months of speculation, SSC expects to roll out its first prototype in February 2009.
"I think we can do it faster, leaner and cleaner than any other manufacturer" says Jerod Shelby, SSC Founder.
Unlike other manufacturers' models slated for delivery in the next decade, Shelby's latest brainchild expects to be delivered as early as fourth quarter 2009. Other automakers have sacrificed aesthetics and performance in exchange for hybrid power plants, but the Ultimate Aero EV will deliver a pollution-free, engineering marvel with an exotic Supercar exterior. The drive train under development will feature a revolutionary power source allowing for extended time between charging intervals with the possibility of several years between charging. Powered by a 500 horsepower electric motor, the Ultimate Aero EV will have true supercar performance. Additionally, SSC is exploring the potential of a twin 500 horsepower electric power plant producing 1,000 horsepower in a 2 or 4 wheel drive configuration.
Having already broken one World Record, SSC will soon break the engineering challenge of our time. Says Jay Leno of SSC's first accomplishment, "The coolest thing about this car is they said they were going to do something and then they did it."
While other manufacturers scramble to capture the Green hysteria of late, SSC will leap over the barrier with a fraction of the Big Three's budget. To that end, the company recently contracted with Investor Relations Group, Sheffield International Finance Corporation initiating the company's first acceptance of outside capital since its inception. In a press release dated July 11, 2008, the American automaker announced that much of the private capital will be dedicated to achieve the historical milestone. The invitation-based offering includes an A-list of invitees including celebrities and notable financiers from around the world.
Consistent with its company philosophy of being the benchmark, SSC plans next to break the record for the fastest electric car in the world.
The Internal Combustion Engine version is $700K USD. The All-ELectric will be $1 million.
- Touted to be the fasted production car on the planet.
- Sports Vehicles
- All-Electric Vehicles
Company: Shelby Supercars
Inventor: Jerod Shelby
In the News
- New SSC - The 1,350bhp hypercar designed by Jason Castriota that's out to take back the speed record from the Veyron Supersports. (TopGear; Sept 10, 2010)
- Ultimate Aero EV: 1000 horsepower electric supercar - We now have the just-as-fantastic prospect of the world's first roadgoing 1000 bhp battery electric vehicle. Shelby Sports Cars says it expects to roll out its first full-scale, pre-production Ultimate Aero EV in Q2 2009. (Gizmag; Jan. 28, 2009)
- World's Fastest Car Goes Electric - Shelby says the Ultimate Aero EV will showcase the company's liquid-cooled, twin-engine, 3-speed "All-Electric Scalable Powertrain," which it says can be tailored to suit a wide variety of vehicles, from compact city cars to heavy-duty trucks and even military vehicles. Zero to 60 in 2.5 seconds? 10-minute recharge time? (Wired; Jan. 23, 2009)
- Shelby Supercars promises breakthrough EV, delivers a lot of hyperbole - SSC promises two, 500hp electric motors equipped with a triple disc clutch and a six-speed gearbox. As Tesla found out the hard way, making a gearbox last with an electric motor is tough, even with half as much power. But it gets better. SSC promises a power source with extended times between charges, perhaps as long as several years. (CooOne; July 19, 2008)
- Electric Cars >
Shelby SuperCars to Build World's Fastest Electric Car - Shelby SuperCars will base the Ultimate Aero EV on the SSC Aero, powered by a 500 horsepower electric motor. The drive train will feature a revolutionary power source allegedly allowing for several years between charging. (TreeHugger; July 18, 2008)
- American Car Breaks World Speed Record - For the first time since 1967, the Guinness World Record for “Fastest Production Car" belongs to an American automobile. Guinness has officially confirmed that Shelby Supercars’ Ultimate Aero hit 256.19 miles per hour on a remote highway in Washington last month. (Forbes; Oct, 3, 2007)
- SSC Aero
- Ultimate Aero EV: SSC Plans To Build World's Fastest Electric Production Car - Their Nanotechnology Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery pack is said to take only 10 minutes for a full recharge on a standard 110 volt outlet and will grant the driver a total of 200 miles on a single quick charge. (Jalopnik, Jan. 21, 2009)
See Discussion page
Shelby SuperCars, LLC
P.O. Box 4508
West Richland, WA 99354
- Directory:Electric Vehicles - Gasoline to electric conversion, Recharging stations, Batteries, Electric Motors, Solar panels, News
- Directory:Green Supercars
- PowerPedia:Internal combustion engine
- News:Green auto shows
- Directory:Fuel Efficiency - main index
- News:Fuel Efficiency
- Fuel Efficient Vehicles
- Directory:Energy from Roadways
FUEL TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES
- Fuel Additives
- Directory:Alternative Fuels
- Directory:Fuel Pre-Heating for Mileage Improvement
- Hydrogen Injection
- Directory:Running Vehicles on Water
- Directory:Clean Fuel Conversions
- Directory:Spark Plugs
- Directory:Hypermiling -- Driving Tips for Better Mileage
- Directory:Boron Additive
- Directory:Electric Vehicles
- Template:Electric Vehicles footer - more EV listings
VEHICLE HARDWARE MODIFICATIONS
- Directory:Air Cars