PESWiki.com -- Pure Energy Systems Wiki: Finding and facilitating breakthrough clean energy technologies.
Directory:TMA Global Wind Energy Systems
Design creates pull on the back side contributing to 40%+ wind conversion efficiencies, doesn't kill birds, runs more quietly, doesn't need to be installed as high, blends better with landscape. Generating costs estimated to be competitive with the best horizontal wind turbine designs, yieldling a higher return on investment than horizontal turbines at higher wind speeds.
- Download (13 mb; mp3) - On July 28, 2008, Sterling D. Allan conducted a live, 1-hour interview with Ron Taylor (original inventor, founder, and Chairman of the Board) and Duane Rasmussen (President) as part of the Free Energy Now radio series.
- - - -
Nov. 5, 2008
New software installation is nearly completed. Previous software had problems in that it would shut down the turbine unnecessarily. Data from pressure points placed around turbine is nearly in.
Nov. 1, 2006
Approximate date that the King Ranch turbine set was grid connected outside Cheyenne, WY.
Most recent patent, confirmed awarded, hard copy not received yet. (As of Feb. 1, 2007)
- US 6,015,258; Wind turbine having airfoils for blocking and directing wind and rotors with or without a central gap; Nov. 22, 2005; Taylor. Ronald J. (Cheyenne, WY).
- Abstract : A wind turbine device of increased efficiency is comprised of a set of fixed airfoils that direct wind into a rotor having a plurality of blades. The fixed airfoils may extend to the ground to increase the amount of wind directed into the rotor and may be manufactured from concrete. The rotor blades have a vented portion near the axis of rotation that has been found to increase efficiency for certain blade geometries. For other blade geometries, increased efficiency is observed with no gap at the axis of rotation. The rotor may also be manufactured from composite materials to increase strength while decreasing the moment of inertia for the rotor.
- US 6,015,258; Wind turbine; January 18, 2000; Taylor. Ronald J. (Cheyenne, WY).
- Wind turbine apparatus is described for converting wind energy into electrical energy. The apparatus includes a rotatable central shaft, a plurality of rotor blades attached to the central shaft, and a plurality of convex airfoils spaced around the periphery of the rotor blades. The ratio of the number of rotor blades to the number of airfoils is at least 1.25 to 1. The size of the apparatus may vary, and the apparatus is useful in a variety of applications and environments. It is very efficient in converting wind energy to electrical energy. It may be operated even in very high wind conditions.
- S. Africa
- Company video (139 MB; mpb) - produced in 2000.
In the News
- Will TMA Wind Blow Away the Competition? - Vertical axis wind turbine technology with concentrating air foils enables TMA to compete with the best horizontal turbine costs at lower wind speeds, while the return on investment is even greater at higher wind speeds, where the horizontal turbines have to shut down. Other advantages are many. (PESN exclusive; Feb. 1, 2007)
- (Chanel 7 News; Denver, CO; Dec. 11, 2006)
- Turning wind power on its side - TMA claims that its system harvests 43-45% of the wind's available energy; conventional propeller-style turbines, in contrast, have efficiencies of 25-40%. (The Economist; Mar 9th 2006)
- TMA's vertical axis wind turbine introduces competitive advantage - Design creates pull on the back side, contributing to 40%+ wind conversion efficiencies; doesn't kill birds; runs more quietly; and doesn't need to be installed as high, blending better with landscape. Generating costs estimated at 3.5 cents per kilowatt-hour, surpassing conventional energy sources. (PESN; Nov. 7, 2005)
- New Turbine May Boost Wind Power - Company officials said traditional propeller-driven turbines are able to convert 25 percent to 40 percent of wind power into transmittable energy. But TMA's design is 43 percent to 45 percent efficient, creating up to 80 percent more power from the same wind. (Wired; Nov. 5, 2005)
TMA Global Wind Systems was exhibited at the Top 100 Clean Energy Technologies Display at the Environmental Hall of Fame in Chicago, 2008
Wyoming Financial Center
2020 Carey Ave., Suite 700
Cheyenne, WY 82001 Phone: (307) 772-0200
Fax: (307) 772-0222
See Discussion page
- News:Wind | 2010 | 2009 | 2008
- PowerPedia:Wind power | PowerPedia:Wind Turbine
- Directory:Wind:Past Developments
- Directory:Wind:Offshore | PowerPedia:Offshore Wind Power Drawbacks
- Directory:Wind Farms | PowerPedia:Windfarms
- Directory:High-Efficiency Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines
- Directory:Home Generation:Wind Turbine
- Directory:Vertical Axis Wind Turbines
- Directory:High Altitude Wind Power
- Directory:Wind Augmentation
- Directory:Power Via Atmospheric Pressure Differences
- Directory:Humdinger Windbelt
- Directory:Wind Power in the United Kingdom